Join our team as a leading environmental advocate
Texas Campaign for the Environment (TCE) and its sister organization, Texas Campaign for the Environment Fund (TCE Fund) are seeking an experienced, strategically-minded activist to join our team as a full-time Communications Director, a newly created position based in Austin.
TCE Fund’s mission is to engage people and communities through face-to-face public education, grassroots organizing and action-oriented research for a cleaner and healthier Texas. TCE is the state’s leading canvass-based environmental advocacy group, directly influencing public policy through community-based lobbying. Both organizations lead local, statewide and national issue campaigns to improve the clean-up of toxic sites, promote Zero Waste—highlighting specifically its connection to climate justice—and fight pollution from the petrochemical sector.
For example, current Texas law allows new residential development on land that would be considered too polluted to build a refinery in Louisiana or Mississippi. This grant-funded position will, among other responsibilities, build statewide support to change how Texas evaluates and remediates polluted sites.
Candidates must possess demonstrated experience in both earned and social media strategies to grow support for issue campaigns. TCE Fund will be filing a petition with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to revise its rules on evaluating toxic waste sites. The Communications Director will be working to recruit allies for this initiative and working to generate support for and draw public attention to this effort.
- Develop specific communications strategies that can be implemented by door-to-door and phone canvassers. Our field canvassers use tablets with immediate follow-up email capability.
- Effectively use our access to online petition platforms to advance our organizational goals.
Develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy that supports the organization’s broader strategic plan.
Public education and media relations
- Manage multi-media public education campaigns to extend the impact of our advocacy, including developing a specific marketing strategy for increasing public support of campaign objectives.
- Work with local, regional, and national press to pitch stories, maximize media coverage, and enhance the visibility of TCE and TCE Fund in communities statewide.
- Oversee the drafting of all press materials, including press releases, advisories, and memos to ensure the organization’s message is disciplined and consistent.
- Conduct press outreach in collaboration with the organization’s three offices and Corpus Christi organizer.
- Lead communications efforts on TCE and TCE Fund campaigns in geographic regions outside of the Austin, D/FW, Houston and Corpus Christi markets.
- Update and maintain media contact lists
- Manage and effectively utilize our email and text message lists.
- Develop and manage dynamic content for the organization’s websites. (Currently using WordPress for content management.)
- Develop strategies for online e-activism campaigns and other web organizing campaigns. (This will include social media work, especially Facebook & Instagram.)
Assist with fundraising communications
- Help produce and edit Annual Reports for TCE and TCE Fund, mid-year fundraising and year end mailings & emails.
- Substantial experience in communications and media relations and/or marketing.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Understanding of grassroots advocacy strategies.
- Experience working with media outlets at national, regional, or local levels.
- Competency working with diverse audiences, including elected officials, community leaders, coalition partners and the public.
- A keen eye for design, page layout, and general presentation.
- Additional experience in journalism, online organizing, graphic design and/or public relations would also be welcome.
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing the overarching goal of environmental justice, with an understanding of the range of current challenges and opportunities.
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and operates decisively; is flexible and is well organized.
- Strong critical thinker and strategic planner.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a diplomatic touch and sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
- Available to travel around the state and make occasional trips out of state.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes insurance coverage (medical/dental/vision, including an HSA account with employer contribution). Paid time off and flex/comp time.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter that explains how your past experience is applicable to the job requirements. Submit applications via email to vic(at)texasenvironment(dot)org or by mail to:
Texas Campaign for the Environment Fund
105 West Riverside Drive, Suite 120
Austin, TX 78704
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
TCE is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. TCE encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.